rocking jaffa

ten months of life in jaffa (yafo, yafa) has turned into, well, more than ten months. its not just the oranges i stayed for, but also the figs.

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

2006 check in.

the past couple weeks have been full of visitors as the north american/christian world takes vacation. not the case here, I found myself at work as usual in the bomb shelter office on sunday morning, christmas day. however since the barrage of visitors began, I have taken a good number of vacation days in order to accompany friends to the flea market, junk market, art market, food market and humus market. ok, there isn’t a humus market, but if there was we would be there and since there isn’t, we traveled to akko (2 hours up the coast by train), supposedly the only city that can rival yafo with its humus. the humus was pure goodness but I was even more enamored by the charm of akko’s living, breathing, old walled city which is neither like disneyland-esque old jerusalem nor the yupi artisan colony of yafo’s oldest quarters. thinking about moving north? check.

new years here is called sylvester. my roommate and I threw a rocking party on saturday night complete with campus-dance worthy christmas lights and beirut on our rooftop (yes, the weather was kind enough to permit an outdoor new years party). they don’t sell red solo cups in Israel, but I was able to strike a deal with some guys who run a juice stand which had similar-sized, durable, neon yellow plastic cups. lebanese-israeli cultural exchange? check.

after months of being the only girl playing ultimate with the holylanders, I brought charlotte and talya to practice. the boys might have been just as excited as I was to have some more ponytails on the field. sadly, practice was cut short when a face-to-elbow collision broke one guy’s nose. (remember when I broke charlotte’s hand?) regardless, disco inferno meets holylanders? check.

after 3 more trips to the bank, i received one of the two check books that i ordered. does it matter that my name is written as ana weitzer? not according to the ever helpful bank workers. checks? check.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your "Ana Weitzer" checks remind me of a similar case of name confusion from when I was in Israel. When ever I would introduce myself to Israelis, the would say "Ari? Like Harry Potter?" I guess you have to hear the confusion. Israelis swallow the "h" and say Harry with a long "a" as in Safari.
    Good to hear you're doing well. Can we get an update on the Sharon drama?
    Ari

     

Post a Comment

<< Home