rocking jaffa

ten months of life in jaffa (yafo, yafa) has turned into, well, more than ten months. its not just the oranges i stayed for, but also the figs.

Sunday, February 25, 2007

the work visa revisited

As I’ve mentioned before, I went through a rather lengthy process of procuring a work visa in order to make my life easier. Not only did it give me legal permission to work in this country, it also provided me with a multiple-entry visa valid for an entire year. No more day trips to Jordan to renew visas, no more hassles at border crossings about bending the rules conveniently exiting and re-entering the country every three months, and best of all, no chance of being detained in Denmark again.

But what I forgot to take into account about the work visa was that in placing those 2 full-page stickers into my passport, I became a foreign worker (“you’re Philippino?” one friend asked). The difference between work visa and foreign worker is simple semantics. But being a foreign worker in this country carries weighty implications.

According to Kav La’Oved there are approximately 200,000 foreign workers in Israel and the territories (including Palestinians who work in Jewish settlements), and many of them are here illegally. They come from the Philippines, Thailand and Eastern Europe among other places. As non-Jews they are not eligible make aliyah/become citizens.

Daily, my life has not changed. In fact, I still haven’t received a paycheck in shekels, so I haven’t actually put the work visa to use. Entering the country, however, is a different story.

Upon my return from Morocco in January I was actually looking forward to passport control. With the year long visa already in my passport no snippy airport worked could give me grief about abusing tourist visas. After taking my passport and asking some standard, prerequisite questions- “where did you learn Hebrew?” and “where do you work? - she point to a small waiting room in the corner and said, “go wait there.”

At 5am, the airport was quiet and I stood alone in the corner until someone came out and without explanation returned my passport and allowed me to go on to baggage claim. No one would answer my questions.

When I returned from 10 days in the states this past Friday afternoon, Ben Gurion Airport was packed with tourists and Israelis coming in to the country. I braced myself as I got one of the crowded lines for foreign passports. Again, I was told to wait on the side. This time, the room was teeming with people, men and women, young and old. Without speaking to any of them, I began to imagine their stories: Palestinians, other foreign workers, travelers who had been to Syria or Lebanon. All undesirable (read: probably non-Jewish) whose entry will be impeded.

As an American I could be automatically entitled to the 3-month tourist visa, as a Jew I could become an Israeli citizen, and as a Hebrew speaker I am rarely seen as an outsider or a threat. My B-1 visa overrides all that, and gives me new perspective on what it’s like, although marginally, to be among the unwanted.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:26 AM, Blogger Arie said…

    It's spelled Filipino. With an f.

     
  • At 6:31 AM, Blogger yudit said…

    Welcome tothe "only democracy"in the Middle East, the country of "us' and "them"

     
  • At 4:49 AM, Blogger Eli said…

    Wow Hannah, I hadn't thought about the foreign workers' visas.

    I've had my share of scuffles with Israeli airport security, as we all have, I guess. One guard kept trying to figure out whether I was Jewish, without explicitly asking. I didn't want to participate in this ethnic profiling. So when she asked, "Elihai, what kind of name is that," I said it was just something my parents invented, and she she asked, "what's your favorite holiday," I said Thanksgiving, and when she asked if I "was part of a community," I talked about Brown. She was getting frustrated (as I was also), until I said, "Look, it makes no difference whether I'm Jewish or not; I paid for this ticket so let me on the plane." And she did.

    It may have helped that I said it in Hebrew.

    Another time I told 'em I was an evangelical Christian. It was smooth sailing, or flying rather.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home