rocking jaffa

ten months of life in jaffa (yafo, yafa) has turned into, well, more than ten months. its not just the oranges i stayed for, but also the figs.

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

shalom aleychem wa'aleykum salaam

while my apartment hunt has been unsuccessful, my job search has been much more promising. granted, I had the advantage of emailing with organizations all summer. however, I am still pleased to find that the people at the office do not include a crazy chain-smoking woman who tells me if the police come I have to pretend I don't live there, a bartender named momo whose pimped-out place is advertised "for someone who wants to live in style," or a woman who has 5 puppies and their poop all over her porch.

i did find at Reut-Sadaka (which means friendship in Hebrew and Arabic), some really wonderful, enthusiastic people who are dedicated to promoting equality and tolerance between Arabs and Jews in Israel. their office is located in an old bomb shelter in a public garden in Jaffa (not for safety reasons but because it was a gift from the Tel Aviv municipality). they run multiple programs ranging from afternoon jewish-arab youth groups, to a "commune" of post-high schoolers who live and volunteer together at the organization, to community outreach and programming for the city of Jaffa. Jaffa is a historical port city with a relatively mixed population and I'm leaning towards living there if the right apartment ever shows up.

the second organization that i might also work for is called Al-Rabitta, or the League for the Arabs of Jaffa. I've been in touch with them and have a meeting with them tomorrow and assuming it goes well I will work part time at both places. this fellowship is a win-win situation. its good for the organizations because they get a volunteer and great for me because these aren't real interviews since its hard to turn down someone who will work for free.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey hannah it me tova. your T.R.Y. sister. good luck on your next ten months in israel! by the way the city is called Yaffo not jaffa.
    take care
    tova

     
  • At 10:46 PM, Blogger Hannah said…

    Actually, it is Yafa in Arabic and Jaffa is the English.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home